W-League Round 1 Wrap: Jets shock while Wanderers flop

From The Stands rounds up an exciting opening weekend of W-League action

The 2014-15 W-League season commenced on Saturday and it was the underdogs, the Newcastle Jets, who drew first blood, narrowly defeating the reigning champions Melbourne Victory at home.

Elsewhere, Perth Glory downed Brisbane Roar 2-1 whilst premiership winners Canberra United prevailed in a 4-1 rout over the Western Sydney Wanderers.

Sydney FC too prevailed in the opening weekend of fixtures, cruising to a comfortable 2-0 victory over Adelaide United.

Newcastle Jets 1 (Angela Salem 47′) – Melbourne Victory 0

Newcastle Jet have started the season on a strong note following a narrow 1-0 victory over W-League champions Melbourne Victory.

The Jets were unlucky not to capitalise on their chances after a bright start with Victoria Huster and Emily van Egmond both unable to make the most of their chances. And the half continued in similar vein, as Newcastle attempted to exploit Melbourne’s fragile defence.

Despite the one-way traffic, the Jets were unable to find the back of the net and the match was scoreless at the break.

Moments after the restart, though, Newcastle’s attacking hustle finally paid dividends as Angela Salem put her side ahead from point-blank off a corner. Victory were unable to find an answer.

The win sees the Jets pick up their first three-pointer since November 2012 and currently sit in fourth position.

Perth Glory 2 (Gill 12′, 52′) – Brisbane Roar 1 (Gielnik 94′)

Perth Glory started their W-League campaign in impressive fashion following a 2-1 win over Brisbane Roar.

A brace in the 12th and 52nd minute from 2013 Golden Boot winner Katie Gill, which included a penalty, saw the Western Australians look in control throughout the entirety of the match before Emily Gielnik managed to score a consolation goal.

For much of the match, the home side monopolised possession with Samantha Kerr wreaking havoc with her pace. Her shot in the 12th minute, the match’s first clear-cut chance, was subsequently fumbled by goalkeeper Kate Stewart, and Gill coolly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.

The second half began in similar fashion, and in the 53rd minute, Kerr was brought down in the penalty box, allowing Gill to secure a brace.

Gielnik’s goal in the dying seconds of the match proved to be no more than a consolation and Perth currently find themselves sitting in third position after their opening match.

Western Sydney Wanderers 1 (Koulizakis 90′) – Canberra United 4 (Heyman 2’, 40’ , Brush 57’, Munoz 76’)

A formidable looking Canberra United line-up proved too strong for a youthful Western Sydney Wanderers set-up as the side from the nation’s capital ran out 4-1 winners.

The reigning premiers got off to a flyer after Michelle Heyman utilised a long ball from goalkeeper Chantel Jones to score in the second minute of the match.

The Wanderers looked to hit back instantly with Helen Petinos and Michelle Carney both creating numerous chances to no avail.

Moments later, United doubled the lead thanks to another long ball for Heyman in the 40th minute, who found herself in a one-on-one and managed to coolly slot past the on-rushing Trudy Burke.

The Wanderers started the second half with a high intensity style of play as they looked to attack at every instant. Their lack of killer instinct proved costly as United’s Ellie Brush headed home off a corner to extend their lead.

And the fate of the hosts was sealed when Caitlin Munoz scored in the 76th minute. The Wanderers could only muster a single goal in the 90th minute after Koulizakis found herself with time in the box and found the back of the net.

Canberra’s win sees them sit atop the ladder while the Wanderers find themselves at the bottom.

Sydney FC 2 (Spencer 38′, 69′) – Adelaide United 0

A brace from American debutant Jasmyne Spencer saw Sydney FC comfortably defeat Adelaide United on the opening match-day.

Spencer capitalised on the side’s early dominance and opened the scoring in the 38th minute when headed past Melissa Barbieri off a corner.

With 20 minutes left on the clock, the Sky Blues doubled their lead with Spencer securing her brace after a scramble in the box.

The win for Sydney sees them sit in second place.